Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Weekend of Accomplishment

On Friday, I left work a little early to get some final things before my first AIDs Lifecycle Training ride (a tire pump, tire tube, and tire lever). Thank God, I did too. After that, I met up with Fritz (the German MD) for our second date at the Ballet. It was nice to do something that I rarely do. I had an amazing time. I think I like Fritz as a friend, but nothing more than that. After that, I met up with some friends at a bar in Castro. We were having such a good time, I missed my train and Cyncere had to come and pick me up! It was like junior high school, all over again!


The next morning, I woke up early, had a protein shake, packed my new items, and made my way to the meeting place of the training ride. It took me about 20 minutes to figure out how to get my bike in my coupe, but I finally got it in there! Thanks to Carnegie Mellon University for developing my engineering mind. The ride was 40 miles. We started around 930am and I didn’t come back until 1:30pm. The ride was full of hills and downhills. It was actually very relaxing to ride my bike; it allowed my mind to wander and to be just with my thoughts. It reminded me of camping during high school. It was peaceful. The non-peaceful times were when my tire popped during a fast downhill and when my chain got off track during an uphill phase of the ride. Since I rode with the team leaders, I always felt in great hands. Everyone was very helpful in the ride. They even changed my tire for me! I was very touched. It is truly a community. I was truly grateful to have had the experience now versus on the actual ride. After the ride, I had an amazing sense of accomplishment. I would have never thought I would be doing this

After the ride, I went over to my friends Jeff’s house where we watched NCAA March Madness for the rest of the evening. It was nice and relaxing and a great end to a great day. I have been truly humbled this week. After a week I sent my mass email to friends and family, I am halfway to my AIDS Lifecycle fundraising goal. The support has been amazing. I’m the kind of person who rarely asks for help so this experience has been humbling. It has also been helpful in getting me ready for when the twins come. I already know I will NEED to ask for help, help, and more help.

Speaking of the babies, can I just say, I am just so excited that they are coming. I have been slowly telling more and more people as I see them. When I tell them, most everyone is just amazed… BTW I am still amazed! People have been so happy for me, which has been great to feel that love. It is a bit funny. I have noticed that when I tell gay men about this surrogacy journey, they always tell me that they want kids too. I think many men don’t know where to start or how to do it! One of my hopes is that I can serve as an inspiration (through my blog and my story) to those people. I hope all people who want children (gay or straight) are able to have them.

(On my Soap Box)
As the US Supreme Court currently decides on the issue of marriage equality today, I can only hope that law will be on the side of justice!
(Off my Soap Box)

Even though the babies will be coming in September, I have already started high level planning the baby shower with Cyncere and my Mom. They seem to be more enthusiastic about this process than I am. I want something pretty lowkey, but they have all of these ideas/themes/games etc. We will see how everything pans out. To all my friends out there, we are thinking mid-August in the Bay Area and for my family, we will have a viewing party around Thanksgiving in Oxnard. More deets and invitations to come. I am thinking of Baby Registries of Target and Diapers.com? Where have others done theirs?

-Anwar

No comments:

Post a Comment